Monday, January 28, 2013

EITNB: Creating a productive workspace






If you are anything like me, you do your best work sitting at a desk. An organized, well lit, creative space that is dedicated to getting stuff done!

As much as I wish I had a home office, or a dedicated place in the house that I could consider an "office," I don't yet. Heck, I don't even have a desk yet! 

Last week I talked about my dream kitchen, and that is so far out from where my life is these days, but an effective work space, that is something I can do in the upcoming days!

If I am sitting at a desk, table, anything where my computer is not on my lap, I do much better. Since I dont have a desk right now, and my kitchen table is a bit too close to the fridge and couch, I am outsourcing. I don't love Starbucks, at all, so I have been spending far too much time at a local wine/coffee bar. It provides amazing (marble or wood) tables, nice music, an older crowd (no screaming kids or people who set up actual offices), and great food and drinks. I get so much done there. 

Starbucks has a reputation for being a great place to work at, and while I think that is true, I have encountered far too many people who seem to be working out of there. One time while I was working there, there was a man who had a table for six to himself, held meetings, and loud conference calls. 

If you don't have the ability to have your own workspace, you can definitely find someplace that will work for you, but be respectful of other people there too! 

Only use one computer, and if you can, one outlet, pick a small table, don't make business calls, use headphones when watching a video or listening to music, and be nice! Don't glare at people who come to chat or catch up, unless you're at a library! 

While this has been working great for me, I have been spending a lot of time at Ikea, The Container Store, and Bed Bath and Beyond, working on making my current space as useful as possible. 

And most of the time I end up like this anyways

(images via)

No comments:

Post a Comment