Monday, March 4, 2013

EITNB: Why do what you do?


I mentioned briefly that last weekend I put together a surprise party for my mom. It was last minuet. And in general things came together oh so well!  Friends and family were constantly offering to help out, or to bring food/drinks, and they were wonderfully appreciated (I rarely accepted because I felt so uncomfortable asking, or maybe it was my awful need to control everything!). But there was more than the fair share of bad moments as well. 

 I also put together a project for her birthday, 50 years 50 memories. The finished product was a completion of 3 months of work, and hundreds of emails.

These two projects taught me so much about who I wanted to be, and more importantly what I wanted to do with my life! I had to deal with all sorts of people, from people who did what they said, people who I had to track down and pester, people who were so willing to share, and those who did the bare minimum. I had to deal with some total jerks, and some very lovely people, and it made me really want to be one of those lovely people.

Asking people to share a memory, was a favor, and I really appreciated every single person taking the time to share with me, and my mom. But I realized that people were will to take time to do these things, because of who my mom is, and the positive influence she has had on so many people. I want to be the sort of person who people are willing to write notes to years after.

This photo from Nicole's instagram was posted at the exact moment I needed to hear it (she has a tendency to do that to me!). I was down, I was aggravated with all the rude people, and I just wanted to quit. Everything. Just give up and throw in the towel. And then I saw this.

I know that I can make a difference in this world, maybe not the whole world, but in some peoples world. I can help bring back consideration, and celebration of events, large and small, and of course help spread little moments of thanks.

You will never be successful, in the right, fulfilling way, if you start a business just to make money. If you start a business to make a difference, and have a mission, a purpose, a reason, your successes will fill more than you just your bank account.

Nicole's photo reminded me what I was doing, and more importantly why I have been so determined to start my own company! Nothing comes easy, there are long hours, constant internal battles, questioning yourself, and your vision, but knowing you are working towards something that will matter, that will make a difference, always tends to make that cup of coffee at 8pm worth it! To make someones day a little bit better, through celebration, or appreciation, that is why I do what I do!

Tell me, why do you want to start a business? What do you want to make a difference in?



No comments:

Post a Comment